If you recently graduated from a Canadian program of study you may be entitled to apply for an open work permit

As a student in Canada it’s important to know ahead of time whether or not your designated learning institution offers post-graduate work permits after graduation. Post-graduate work permits are open work permits that allow students who have graduated from an eligible Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Due to time constraints and having all necessary documents readily available before making an application,  it is critical you prepare your application as early as possible.

How do I start the process?
We’re your first step in starting a citizenship application.  Complete an eligibility assessment here

A post-graduation work permit’s validity is determined on the length of your program of study and can be for a minimum duration of 8 months and up to a maximum of 3 years. It is common for regularly scheduled breaks to be included in the time accumulated toward the length of the post-graduation work permit.

Simply put, yes! If you’re a recent graduate who has filed your post-graduation work permit application before the expiry of your study permit – you can work full time while awaiting a decision on your application. In addition, you must have:

  • Completed your program of study
  • Been enrolled as a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI) in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program of at least 8 months that led to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • Not exceeded the allowable hours of working on your study permit