Card renewal

A valid permanent resident card is almost always a necessity when traveling outside of Canada as proof you are a permanent resident of Canada. To be eligible for a permanent resident card renewal, you must already be a permanent resident of Canada. In addition, your application must be submitted in Canada. Here at New Roots Immigration we make the process easy in completing your renewal application.

How do I start an application? 
We’re your first step in starting a citizenship application.  Complete an eligibility assessment here

To maintain your permanent resident status in accordance with the residency obligation, you must have been physically in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five year period. Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days depending on your situation.

In limited circumstances it is possible to have an expired card and still be able to return to Canada. Returning to a land border in a private vehicle can allow you to produce alternative documents to show proof of permanent resident status such as your confirmation of permanent residence.

Some examples of private vehicles include: a car, truck, motorcycle, or vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent.

If you intend to leave Canada by a commercial vehicle, airplane bus, train or boat you cannot return to Canada without a valid permanent resident card. In these circumstances, you must apply for a permanent resident travel document overseas in order to return. This is not something we encourage you to do as it can be extra cost, time and hassle depending on the country you travel.

This is determined based on IRCC processing times. Unfortunately, processing times update frequently and it cannot be predicted how long it can take to receive. The good news is that you can apply up to 9 months in advance, prior to the expiration of your current PR card. If you apply “too early” your application will be returned.